Producer TV News (English Services) - EDM00563
Producer, TV News (English Services) - EDM00563
Job Family Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location Edmonton
Status of Employment Permanent, Full-time
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
Whether on-air or behind the scenes, here you join a team that thrives on making the connections and telling the stories that are important to Canadians. So, if you’ve got the ability to keep up with the pace of our ever-changing industry, the passion to make the next great idea even better and the drive to make things happen, this is the place for you.
CBC Edmonton is looking for a Producer for TV news.
Reporting to the Executive Producer, you will be primarily responsible for the supper-hour, late night and weekend television news. These responsibilities include the development of program ideas, the development of program content, the style, the pace, the line-up and format of our TV news programs. We are looking for a dynamic individual who will create programming that provides the context to the days news with interviews, segments and creative use of video and other storytelling techniques. The Producer will also be responsible for providing leadership with the CBC’s digital strategy.
This Producer plans, conceives, organizes, and/or develops the production and realization of news programming. Work must adhere to CBC journalistic and program policies, standards and practices and the Producer is responsible for ensuring that this occurs. There is wide latitude for initiative, independent judgment and creativity. There is a regular and ongoing requirement to co-ordinate the work of others.
Key Tasks :
- Involve the demonstrated ability to provide leadership in a stressful and demanding work environment.
- Help plan news coverage in a fully integrated newsroom (radio, television, online), work collaboratively with Network News and Current Affairs.
- Produce high quality news and current affairs within defined resource levels.
- Deliver on a shared program vision, create engaging programming using a wide variety of production techniques.
- Collaborate with producers and production unit, including radio and online news in defining and producing the look, content and focus of the daily shows and specials.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- University degree or equivalent.
- Job requires five (5) years’ experience of which three must involve work in broadcasting or a closely related industry, which is directly related to the area of assignment.
- Solid journalistic skills, with highly developed vetting skills.
- Superior leadership, coaching and mentoring skills, with the demonstrated ability to mentor and encourage creativity.
- Highly developed production skills, including strong ability to produce a variety of program formats and experience in field production.
- Highly developed technical skills, including field recording, and experience using a variety of equipment.
- Advanced skills in iNews, Dalet and DTV.
- An understanding of the relationship between network and regional programming.
- A track record of completing assignments independently.
- A demonstrated understanding of journalistic practices in the broadcasting industry; Established credibility as a program producer.
- Knowledge of the issues of Edmonton.
- A keen eye and ear for stories and story development in terms of both news and current affairs.
- Proven experience in producing journalistic programs and stories.
- Knowledge of, and significant experience in, television programming and in production for news and information programs including a demonstrated ability to write, edit, vet and line-up; Experience with digital editing would be an asset.
- Experience working with multiple news bureaus an asset.
- Experience with electronic presentation systems like Media Central an asset plus experience working across media lines an asset.
- Able and confident to make good decisions rapidly and frequently, often under deadline plus the ability to handle stress and to work under stress.
- Able to keep track of a number of simultaneous activities; to plan and prioritize; to analyze complex journalistic and operational issues.
- Excellent problem solving skills plus excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced leadership skills to inspire and direct a small creative, experienced and self-motivated staff; Consultative and "team approach" style.
Please include a link to your website, blog or video in your cover letter.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to reflecting our country’s diversity.
In becoming the leader in expressing Canadian culture and enriching democratic life, we need to be as diverse in every way as the country we serve, both within our workforce and on air. As an employer, we value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada's public broadcaster.
For more information, visit the Talent and Diversity section of our corporate website.
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/5a452a449847ba04b723c839/51fc022158b70066fae49ff7/en
Edmonton, AB, CA
|Posted:||Dec 29, 2017|
(This company has provided an external site for you to apply)