News Editor FootballFeatured
theScore’s mission is to create highly-engaging digital products and content that empowers the sports fan’s experience. Its flagship mobile app ‘theScore’ is one of the most popular multi-sport news and data apps in North America, serving millions of fans a month. The Company also creates innovative digital sports experiences through its web, social, and esports platforms, and will be launching a mobile sportsbook in the United States in 2019.
We’re seeking a passionate football writer who can contribute to theScore’s industry-leading mobile sports experience. Catering to a hardcore user base, the NFL and NCAAF news editor will use a combination of written articles, video, and social media to deliver the news and content fans crave. The ideal candidate operates with a digital-first mindset and can deliver clean, concise copy on deadline in addition to engrossing headlines and push alerts. The football news editor will also be tasked with delivering informative, entertaining, and thoughtful feature content as required.
Typical work day at theScore:
- Monitor breaking news and trending content, using news judgement and consulting with supervising editors to identify the most pertinent items.
- Write informative and engaging news articles and headlines/captions which accurately summarize storylines as they unfold.
- Produce push alerts that communicate vital breaking news, video, and feature points.
- Live in-office coverage of games and key events throughout the football calendar.
- Curate the NFL/NCAAF news feeds with a mix of news articles from a variety of sources along with video, photos, and social media content.
- Pitch and execute feature content related to football events and news items. E.g., Winners and losers from NFL free agency; Every team’s biggest question mark entering training camp; 10 most overpaid NFL players.
- Assist with coverage of other sports as needed, including boxing and MMA.
- Other duties as required.
- Extensive knowledge of football, including: history, economics, teams, players, stats, etc.
- Ability to write news, headlines, and feature content on deadline with a high degree of accuracy.
- A degree in journalism is preferred.
- Experience in sports media, digital focus is preferred.
- Experience with a variety of social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
- Willingness to take on other projects as they come up.
- Flexibility with regards to scheduling - this job involves working nights and weekends.
- Understanding of advanced football statistics/analysis/play schemes considered an asset.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary with Employee Share Purchase Plan.
- Comprehensive benefits package.
- Fun, relaxed work environment.
- Located downtown Toronto; easily accessible by public transit.
- Snacks and drinks provided.
- Awesome patio with BBQ
- Games room (bring your A game for our FIFA 19, arcade, ping pong and foosball tournaments!).
We are an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be made upon request.
500 King Street West
Toronto, ON, CA
|Posted:||May 31, 2019|
(This company has provided an external site for you to apply)